National Day of Health and Safety in Mining 2023
17 August 2023
Today marked the Minerals Council South Africa’s sixth annual commemoration of the National Day of Health and Safety in Mining. Since its inception in 2018, the goal has been to demonstrate efforts made by the industry in addressing health and safety-related issues, to reinforce its commitment, and to learn from one another to reach the common goal of Zero Harm.
The 2023 theme is Always: Vigilance, Learning, Improving which aims to illustrate industry efforts to address health and safety in the quest to achieve the common goal of Zero Harm.
- Nolitha Fakude, President of the Minerals Council Opening address | Closing address | Speaker notes
- David Msiza, Chief Inspector of Mines, DMRE and Chair of the Mine Health and Safety Council Address | Speaker notes
- Japie Fullard, Chair of the Minerals Council’s CEO Zero Harm Forum Address | Speaker notes
- Chris Smith, UASA Address
- Hanlie van Vuuren, Solidarity Address
ZERO HARM drilling at Impala Rustenburg
IMPROVEMENT of traffic management at Thungela
100 DAYS CHALLENGE: ensuring women’s safety in mining at Exxaro
Khumbul’ekhaya is a Nguni word for “remember home”, and recognises the devastating impact that work-related deaths have on families. It intends to drive home an enhanced safety and health message.